[M3devel] AND (…, 16_ff)… Not serious - or so I hope!

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 27 03:54:57 CEST 2012

Memory is always potentially a problem!!!!

One of the main reasons my group was slow at switching from PM3 to CM3
was because we were processing node names for chip designs as TEXTs.

Chip designs tend to be deeply hierarchical and you wind up printing a
lot of strings such as

a.b.c.d.e.f.g.h

to files.

That's when you run into problems with Text.Cat.

And memory will always be a problem since you are always designing the
next generation of computers with the current generation of computers.

Also even if memory weren't a problem, speed is always a problem, and
speed isn't entirely unrelated to memory.  The Text.Hash I was alluding
to earlier hashes eight characters per iteration on a 64-bit machine,
as long as characters are 8 bits...  If you go to 16 bits it'll take
at least twice as long.  Furthermore if there is more than one way
(bit pattern) to represent a single CHAR it becomes difficult to use
algorithms that take more than one at a time.

    Mika