[M3devel] Windows, Unicode file names

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Jun 28 14:51:03 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 01:14:22PM +0200, Dragiša Durić wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2012, at 12:19 PM, Jay K wrote:
>
> >  > More and more is obvious how ideal structure would be: ARRAY OF CHAR, UTF8 encoded, using SRC M3 Text.Hash().
> >
> > I don't quite agree.
> > There are two ideal approaches.
> > 1)
> >   TEXT is like ARRAY OF CHAR and no values over 0xFF (or maybe even 0x7F)
> >   "WiDETEXT" is like ARRAY OF WIDECHAR, for 16bit or 32bit WIDECHAR
>
> So we can have two representations for single thing: variable holding some text. And representation depends on a question "do you need non-basic-english-characters"?

I'm  starting to discover that a lot of my English documents have
nonAscii chracters in them.  In particular, the separate open and close
quotation marks around quoted speech take more than one byte in
Unicode.  True, in a starvation-level character set, they are both
represented as " , but that's really not what they are.

-- hendrik