[M3devel] libXaw.so.6 again

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Mon May 14 10:04:15 CEST 2012

Depends on how major are changes from .6 to .7. At my Fedora box package
version is 1.0.8 and library is libXaw.so.7. Looks like it is minor
change (source/package wise) but number was bumped (probably after
XFree86 schism).

As for binary compatibility Jay mentioned... I don't think many Windows
98 programs will work without hickups on Windows 8. YMMV :).

Under Linux minor version number changes are expected to be binary
compatible. Major version number changes indicate API changes or
additions. Package using libXaw.so.6 is probably revised ages ago. Error
you are getting now says, to me, "Time to check source/API changes".

Belief in eternally invariant API anywhere is naive.

On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 23:51 -0700, Mika Nystrom wrote:
> =?utf-8?Q?Dragi=C5=A1a_Duri=C4=87?= writes:
> >Another is to ln -s existing libXaw.so.7 to libXaw.so.6
>
> "Not guaranteed to work" but almost always does, right?

As long as API is not changed, link time will show would it work or not.
Execution is ultimate test :).

--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>