[M3devel] Success with libXaw.so.7, but more help needed.

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue May 15 17:12:18 CEST 2012

I got it to recognise libXaw.se.7.

I downloaded and untarred the src-all archive.

I used cm3 to compile and ship several libraries:

 m3-ui/formsvbt
 m3-ui/videovbt
 m3-ui/vbtkit
 m3-ui/ui
 m3-ui/X11R4

Each one was simple, like
   cd formsvbt
   cm3
   cm3 -ship

I identified the libraries that needed recompilation fron the
compilation error messages I got whein compiling the program I was
originally trying to work on.  A message like:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libXaw.so.6, needed by /usr/local/cm3/pkg/vbtkit/AMD64_LINUX/libm3vbtkit.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)

indicated recompiling  m3-ui/vbtkit (I had to look around in src-all too
figure out the m3-ui part).

At least these libraries work now.  So my immediate objective is
accomplished.

But the job is  not done.  This is simply too much to inflict on an
inexperienced beginner.  He'd pretty well have to desperately want to
use Modula 3 to go to all this trouble AND have the advice of an
experienced Modula 3 user (such as me, and I had trouble!) to get this
far.

The next steps, which I *will* need help with if I am to do them, are:

figure out which other libraries have similar obsolete dependencies.

recompile them

Prepare new distribution archives and a new .deb file, suitably
annotated as to which Debian release they work with.

The .deb is surely the easiest way for a beginner to install Modula 3 on
Debian.

Make the .deb spread its contents over the file system, as required for
it to be accepted into Debian again.  Modula 3 has been absent from
Debian for far too long.

-- hendrik