[M3devel] building packages from source from cvs

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu May 17 02:48:25 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:06:00AM +0000, Jay K wrote:

>      > *** LIBRARY_PATH shouldn't contain the current directory when
>      > *** building gcc. Please change the environment variable
>      > *** and run configure again.
>     hendrik at april:~/cm3/cm3/scripts/python$ echo $LIBRARY_PATH
>   :/usr/local/Gambit-C/lib
>  Please either clear the variable, or at least remove the leading :.The leading : makes there be an empty entry, which is interpreted as current directory, which is dangerous and fragile. I think.This is a local problem on your machine. Easily fixed.   It might be reasonable for us to clear it in m3cc/src/m3makefile.   - Jay

Interesting.  I thought you had to say . to get the current directory, and that the
empty string meant nothing at all.  Evidently the  standard way of appending something
to LIBRARY_PATH has a bug in the empty case.  Strings aren't the best way of doing lots
of things, but they're ubiquitous, are oftern the only thing available, and lead to bugs
like this.

-- hendrik