[M3devel] building packages from source from cvs

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu May 17 02:59:31 CEST 2012

 > From: hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
 > Strings aren't the best way of doing lots
 > of things, but they're ubiquitous, are oftern the only thing available, and lead to bugs
 Definitely.  A classic example is the command line, for various reasons.On Windows for example, the lower layers pass the command line as one flat string.So then it has to be split up to form argv. On spaces. Which have to be quoted if they are in individual elements. But quotes can occur too. Mess. Even on Unix where the kernel accepts an array, it doesn't work well, like if you are passing any "special" characters, at least if there is an intervening /bin/sh. There are length limits, at least on Windows, so compilers/linkers accept their commands in files as well, and long command lines are stuffed into files.  Strongly typed function calls work much better.Over RPC if necessary.  URLs have similar problems.  I see problems caused by this stuff pretty frequently..   - Jay