[M3devel] Why do we need external debugging?

Darko darko at darko.org
Mon Apr 1 23:53:37 CEST 2013

The last time I used an external or lowish-level debugger was the last time I programmed in a language other than M3. I find the language so safe and reliable that I don't quite understand the need for external debuggers. Is it driven by a need to integrate with other languages or external libraries?

Why can't a debugger be optionally compiled into the code and supported by the runtime? I find I don't need much more than the ability to log procedure execution, procedure parameters and local variables. I imagine some sort of debugging mode with a simple command line and an interrupt mechanism would facilitate interactive debugging.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

- Darko