[M3devel] cm3 should process -D on command line earlier?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 7 01:23:38 CEST 2013

> cm3 should process -D on command line earlier?

I want to be able to say in the config file:

if defined("cm3_verbose")
 M3_FRONT_FLAGS += ["-v"]
end

if defined("cm3_verbose_version_stamps")
 M3_FRONT_FLAGS += ["-vsdebug"]
end

this doesn't quite work because cm3 processes the -D on the command line fairly late -- after it reads "the config file" and before it reads "the m3makefile".
(Each of which can and often does include additional files.)

I'm working on this change.

Alternative a specific flag to cm3 for each frontend flag might be good.
I guess verbose is actually already handled.

Shall I just "pretend" they are the same?
Add frontend flags to cm3 and have cm3 pass them on?
i.e. specifically -vsdebug?

see
/cm3/m3-sys/m3front/src/misc/Host.m3 for possible frontend flags

Hm..the thing is, these are mostly meant to be pretty obscure.
Often-but-not-always target-specific, set by the config file, and not meant to be user-editable.
For example the C backend and NT386 backend have requirements around -inline_nested_procs vs. -unfold_nested_procs. Though really the C backend could easily be made to work either way, esp. at this point that it is many-pass.

Reasonable?

(I'm specifically wanting -vsdebug to track down what types the C backend is seemingly uninformed about...)