[M3devel] UI libraries (also WIDECHAR/cm3 TEXT)

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Fri Apr 26 08:08:55 CEST 2013

As for GUI, I have pretty extensive binding for Gtk+, and I am also done some work with gobject-introspection with plans to provide complete binding of everything glib. My plan is to publish it (an older version, for Gtk1, already circulated here). Gtk+ works on almost everything.

As for TEXT system… Old TEXT system base type was semiopaque REF ARRAY OF CHAR. Compiler was hooking & to Text.Cat which was "allocate enough space, copy both arguments, keep everything ASCIIZ". New type makes & as efficient as possible, but does not disallow us to reimplement RtHooks' Cat and MultiCat to behave just like 3.6/pm3 Text.Cat.

I think cm3's reasoning was pretty natural once they decided (because of task at hand, JVM) to create WIDECHAR as standard type.  Next was W"" literal, and one thing was following another. When this proved itself as efficient for their needs, it was cemented.

I would like  to know if anybody would object to  reimplementation of TextCat module? I can make it, no problem, as people are not going to lynch me :).

Dirk, are you covering Unicode Collate with your Unicode implementation? Except for Unicode tables (and your earlier implementation of this is very useful) and UTF handling/operations (I have this, very complete), Unicode Collate remain biggest remaining obstacle for full incorporation of Unicode/UTF8 into cm3.

dd