[M3devel] problems rebuilding on Win XP

Coleburn, Randy rcolebur at SCIRES.COM
Mon Aug 26 00:59:19 CEST 2013

I'm having all sorts of problems rebuilding cm3 on WinXP.

I have an old WinXP laptop on which I had a working cm3 system circa 2008.
I decided to update to the last sources, so I used CVS to update my sandbox from the HEAD branch.
Then, I began the rebuild process.
Stage 1 of the rebuild went ok, then when I got to stage 2, I ran into a problem with a compile error in "cm3/m3-libs/libm3/src/os/WIN32/SocketWin32.m3" that I repaired with Jay's help.
Now going back thru the rebuild again, the compilation failed in stage 1 (even though it had worked previously).

Figuring that I'd somehow messed up everything, I saved off my bin, pkg, lib folders and replaced them with an old backup of a working system.
Now, I run into all kinds of problems with the system trying to find stuff in "I386_NT" folders instead of "NT386".
I tried renaming all the NT386 folders to I386_NT, but that didn't help (seems that internally something still wants the NT386).
So, I modify cm3.cfg to force use of NT386, so I can make progress again, but now I'm getting all kinds of compilation errors.

Given my predicament, is there some minimalist binary distribution I can download, install, and use to rebuild everything in my sandbox afresh on 32-bit Windows XP ?  (BTW, this system uses Visual Studio 2008 for the linker and other Microsoft tools.)

Has there been a definite plan to change the naming of "NT386" to "I386_NT" ?

Once I get the 32-bit XP working, I'm going to want to build everything on Windows 7 (64-bit), so any thoughts in advance on how to best succeed in that endeavor are also appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy Coleburn