[M3devel] problems rebuilding on Win XP

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Aug 27 20:18:36 CEST 2013

  > is there some minimalist binary distribution I can download, install, and use

I used one of these:
http://www.opencm3.net/uploaded-archives/cm3-all-x86-pre5.8.5-VC80.msi
http://www.opencm3.net/uploaded-archives/cm3-all-x86-pre5.8.5-VC90.msi

but any of these ought to work:
 http://www.opencm3.net/uploaded-archives/cm3-min-x86-pre5.8.5-*.zip
   * any of VC20 VC40 VC41 VC42 VC50 VC60 VC70 VC80 VC90

   VC80 vs. VC90 shouldn't need to match what you are using,
   it is just what they were built with.
    Some of them depend on the "VC redist", which you likely already have.

   and upgrade.py

   You'll need the fix in FSWin32.m3.

 I'll try to test some of these this week,
   and 1) upload updated archives
   and 2) try the C backend to target AMD64_NT! That was one of the goals of the C backend -- new targets, w/o gcc backend.

  "NT386" is probably still supported, but I'd really like to someday get rid of:
  NT386, SOLsun, SOLgnu, LINUXLIBC6, FreeBSD4.

  For years we have had: I386_NT, SPARC_SOLARIS, I386_LINUX, I386_FREEBSD.

With the C backend, even these names will have less significance, as the backend output
is nearly the same across many targets, and hopefully will become more common in time.

 - Jay