[M3devel] 64-bit big endian?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Aug 27 09:38:16 CEST 2013

SPARC64_SOLARIS is here:

https://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/index.html

 - Jay

From: jay.krell at cornell.edu
To: microcode at zoho.com; m3devel at elegosoft.com
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 07:35:28 +0000
Subject: Re: [M3devel] 64-bit big endian?

 > There are a little-endian MIPS64 boxes also,

OpenBSD/loongson? I was running on that.

We are extremely portable. Endianness is of almost no concern. Processor is of almost no concern.
We use the gcc backend and pthreads for portability. Or Windows.
 The gcc requirement will be relaxed to any C or C++ compiler.

The system was implemented to be about that portable and I believe I fairly well proved it succeeded. I got it to run on several similar systems that it hadn't run on or hadn't recently run on, and I got close on still others. Give just a bit of time and hardware, I'm IA64/HPUX/Irix/VMS/AIX/Tru64 whatever you can muster, we'll work with it. But most of these systems people don't use anyway.
And, it is getting better. We'll need just a C or C++ compiler, and pthreads or Win32.
We should be about as portable as any "package" on any widely used Posix or Windows system.
Maybe some day we'll even output JavaScript and run in a browser, via emscriptem...
(We'll also remove some of trickier mostly Posix code with cooperative suspend...)

 - Jay