[M3devel] 64-bit big endian?

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Tue Aug 27 09:51:46 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 07:35:28AM +0000, Jay K wrote:
>  > There are a little-endian MIPS64 boxes also,
>
> OpenBSD/loongson? I was running on that.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. Are you saying you have CM3 running on
it?

> We are extremely portable. Endianness is of almost no concern. Processor
> is of almost no concern.
> We use the gcc backend and pthreads for portability. Or Windows.
>  The gcc requirement will be relaxed to any C or C++ compiler.

That will really be great. A lot of times I want to run something and it has
gcc-isms and doesn't build with other compilers.

> The system was implemented to be about that portable and I believe I
> fairly well proved it succeeded. I got it to run on several similar
> systems that it hadn't run on or hadn't recently run on, and I got close
> on still others. Give just a bit of time and hardware, I'm
> IA64/HPUX/Irix/VMS/AIX/Tru64 whatever you can muster, we'll work with
> it. But most of these systems people don't use anyway.

I have friends with a lot more hardware than me and they seem to just accept
the fact they can only run software X on boxes a and b and not c, d or e. I
don't like to get stuck not being able to run something on the few different
boxes I have so I tend not to look too hard at stuff that won't run
everywhere. I've been so busy with other projects that I haven't had time to
look at Modula-3 (not just CM3) but it's definitely on my list since I do
appreciate good language design. I was impressed on all the platform support
I saw on the homepage and I've been lurking on the mailing list to see what
you guys are up to.