[M3devel] Fwd: Re: Fw: UTF-16: Greek alphabet with CM3

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at elstel.org
Sun Dec 1 20:37:28 CET 2013

Am 01.12.2013 18:15, schrieb Rodney M. Bates:

> On 12/01/2013 02:47 AM, Elmar Stellnberger wrote:
>>
>> Am 30.11.2013 17:02, schrieb Rodney M. Bates:
>>>
>>> The en/decoders are available in one-code-point-per-call forms, as well
>>> as in filters that are semantically almost identical to Wr and Rd,
>>> which
>>> work on whole streams, with a constant encoding.  The latter, in
>>> front of
>>> TextWr/TextRd would probably make it easy to interface to any GUI
>>> library
>>> that uses in-memory UTF-8, etc.
>>>
>>> It also would not be hard to make these work with 16-bit WIDECHAR, with
>>> any input coded beyond UFFFF converted to the standard Unicode
>>> replacement
>>> UFFFD.  It sounds like you would be unlikely to use such values.
>> Yes, for that project I just need letters up to 0xFFFF i.e. latin-1
>> and -7.
>> Currently I have copied a keyboard translation into
>> /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/
>> that will give me greek chracters on [AltGr][Letter]. Nonetheless the
>> current
>> Windows implementation of the simulator suffices without such a trick
>> because
>> it can intercept the [AltGr] keystrokes. I have not evaluated yet
>> whether the
>> current VBT input form would allow a similar mechanism.
>>>
>>> How soon do you need to start?
>> It would be good if that was available until January so that I can
>> approach to
>> finish my work until February. Fortunately there is some work which I
>> could
>> do in advance at least if the interfaces should not change radically.
>> At least
>> I should have some result at the beginning of March.
>>

> Enough of what the Unicode branch could do for you has been working
> for some time.
> The remaining problems are convenience/packaging things, testing of
> big-endian and
> mixed-endian pickles and network objects, and bootstrapping.  I have
> not rebootstrapped
> using the release compiler in a couple of months, but I believe there
> are some new
> bootstrap barriers that have popped up.  Also, the only backend that
> is done is
> the gcc-4.7-derived one, although I think that will cover the majority
> of the targets.
> What target are you using?
AMD64_LINUX, LINUXLIBC6. However the program will need to work on
windows as well.

> As for what GUI system to use, that is another question, but the
> Unicode branch
> would allow you to pass/receive strings in any of the encodings, yet
> process
> them in M3 code as simple characters, without having to mess with or
> understand
> the encodings.  That should pretty well open up all your options on
> what GUI
> system to use.  Also, it would make late changing to a different
> encoding trivial.

Yes, I should likely check that branch out and compile it.
However for the final program a stable version of it will be absolutely
necessary.
Then I will also have to decide whether I can use Trestle/vbtkit or
whether I should try to
convert a current GTK with swig.

Elmar