[M3devel] and move to gcc 4.7?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 6 09:46:15 CET 2013

 > quality and performance of the new one though, just to avoid regression.

Well..the main "quality" is portability.Much is being potentially sacrificed for it.

There are potential other improvements, but also potential regressions.

Optimization might be better, i.e. by not using gcc, or worse, i.e. by going via C.

Compiler performance is likely worse, due to the extra text production and parsing.It seems ok to me. I've been using a while. But not great. Skipping the .mc/m3cg file production helped a lot.

Debugging will be better on Darwin and NT -- where currently we have no type info, I hope to add significant typing.

"Ease of distribution" will take a step forward, but it isn't yet where I want it to be.You know, you just want tar xf; configure; make; make install. No need for cross builds or "unusual" prerequesites, "just" a C compiler and Bourne shell and make.

Portability will increase.Maintainability will increase.We will no longer have a motivation for "chasing" newer gcc.  (nor patches e.g. for OpenBSD)We will "automatically" port to "every" target. This is an exaggeration, but not by a lot.The "porting" will work will decrease. Porting work will further decrease when we have cooperative suspend.

 - Jay