[M3devel] and move to gcc 4.7?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elego.de
Wed Feb 6 12:15:35 CET 2013

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:46:15 +0000
Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu> wrote:

>  > quality and performance of the new one though, just to avoid regression.
>
> Well..the main "quality" is portability.Much is being potentially sacrificed for it.
>
> There are potential other improvements, but also potential regressions.
>
> Optimization might be better, i.e. by not using gcc, or worse, i.e. by going via C.
>
> Compiler performance is likely worse, due to the extra text production and parsing.It seems ok to me. I've been using a while. But not great. Skipping the .mc/m3cg file production helped a lot.
>
> Debugging will be better on Darwin and NT -- where currently we have no type info, I hope to add significant typing.
>
> "Ease of distribution" will take a step forward, but it isn't yet where I want it to be.You know, you just want tar xf; configure; make; make install. No need for cross builds or "unusual" prerequesites, "just" a C compiler and Bourne shell and make.
>
> Portability will increase.Maintainability will increase.We will no longer have a motivation for "chasing" newer gcc.  (nor patches e.g. for OpenBSD)We will "automatically" port to "every" target. This is an exaggeration, but not by a lot.The "porting" will work will decrease. Porting work will further decrease when we have cooperative suspend.

Yes, I understand and appreciate all those. I was just thinking of something more pragmatical.
Let's start with m3tests:

Recent runs show a regression from 19 to 49 errors on AMD64_LINUX:
http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/job/cm3-current-test-m3tests-AMD64_LINUX/

The same for FreeBSD 8:
http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/job/cm3-current-test-m3tests-AMD64_FREEBSD/

Can you explain (and fix) those?

Olaf
--
Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH -- http://www.elegosoft.com
Geschäftsführer: Michael Diers, Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin