[M3devel] how to represent a 16bit char?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 30 10:06:03 CET 2013

1) Ok for purposes of interfacing with Win32 and Xlib, what should I use where WIDECHAR used to be correct?
2) Are we really certain that redefining WIDECHAR is the way to go?
Not, say, introduce a new time, CHAR32 or UCHAR32?
And maybe add an explicit alias CHAR16 or UCHAR16 to provide a type that nobody will ever consider changing?

Or do people now advocate:
 get rid of WIDECHAR
 leave 8 bit CHAR
 with a new understanding that it is UTF-8 encoded, and force lots conversion back and forth?
??

Thank you,