[M3devel] mklib in upgrade.py ...

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 14 21:21:31 CEST 2013

mklib: I fixed it to compile long ago, broke it recently, fixed it recently.
There is a dependency on m3core having the Win32 typedefs/defines.
Which it has had for years.

If we really need to stay compatible with very old versions, I can copy
those typedefs/defines into mklib, again.

mklib's utility on non-Windows systems is hypothetical at this point.
If we had/used a cross linker and cross C compiler, then mklib would
help round out a cross build solution. Without a cross linker, it is kind of pointless.
(Then again, with a cross linker and C compiler, we'd probably have "cross ar",
though mklib does a bit more than that..)

I guess I can filter mklib out of for non-Windows.
But more likely I will leave it in.
I'd rather copy the few relevant types/constants into mklib.
Or just require everyone to have an up to date m3core..
There are so many things in the system that do work, but people keep
trying to use old libraries/toolsets.
The odbc duplication is another example -- a bunch of identical files
except for calling convention, calling convention previously being
an error on non-Windows systems, but for years now being ignored instead.

 - Jay