[M3devel] 64bit big-endian

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Tue Sep 17 20:33:09 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 06:24:58PM +0000, Jay K wrote:
> Historically:
>  SOLgnu was 32bit SPARC on Solaris using gcc; Which linker? I don't know.
>  SOLsun was 32bit SPARC on Solaris using Sun cc

Ok, that's what I suspected vis a vis gcc/cc but I didn't know what
platform. Thanks. So what's the reason for SPARC32_Solaris?

> The config files can be fairly user edited to switch between cc and gcc.
> Any of the four AMD64/I386/SPARC32/SPARC64_SOLARIS can be built with cc or gcc.
> I favor cc. It likely gives us better code, and gives us a little
> variety-for-demonstrated-portability.

Yes, certainly if you're building on Solaris then Solaris Studio (cc) is the
obvious correct choice.

So what about 5 and 6 below? Are they built with gcc or Solaris Studio?

And is there an issue of not having access to SPARC build hardware?