[M3devel] 64bit big-endian

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 17 23:05:39 CEST 2013

SPARC32_SOLARIS is a new name for SOLsun/SOLgnu.
Newer targets have followed a fairly "regular" naming scheme:
PPC_DARWIN, I386_DARWIN, PPC_LINUX, AMD64_NT.

Not sure if it should be PPC or PPC32, SPARC or SPARC32,
 I386 or X86 or IA32 or what, but ok.

I introduced new names for the remaining few old style names:
 LINUXLIBC6 => I386_LINUX
 FreeBSD4 => I386_FREEBSD
 NT386 => I386_NT
 NT386GNU => I386_CYGWIN
 NetBSDv2 => I386_NETBSD

 The old names continue to be supported.
We don't really need/want to encode precise versions in the names.

See, it used to be there was a roughly one to one processor to OS mapping.
So "HPPA" implied HPUX, NetBSD/Linux/FreeBSD implied x86.

This is no longer the case at all -- pretty much every system, except
like AIX and Irix run on at least two processors.

 Our build infrastructure:

Most likely I tested most/everything with gcc, but then settled on Sun cc.
User can go and edit the config files if he prefers gcc.

 We have access to the opencsw machines for Solaris.
  I had a bunch of machines but I've downsized 1) what I own 2) what I'm running
 on what I have left.
  Olaf was the main person maintaining the infrastructure and he has little time.
 We are very short staffed.

There is actually very little target-dependent anywhere in the Modula-3 system at this point.
I removed all the rewritten Posix headers for example, replaced with a more portable layer.
(i.e. no need to know exact layout and sizes of things).

 - Jay