[M3devel] Status of CM3

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at elstel.org
Tue Jul 29 17:46:35 CEST 2014

Concerning a new release of CM3; when do you think it could become true?
I would really appreciate something with qt/gtk/trestle and unicode
support as currently in the repositories however all of it known to work
on all platforms supported by CM3.

Am 28.05.14 21:32, schrieb Tony Hosking:
> What is really needed is some time and attention put in to bring the
> CM3 runtime up to date with respect to advances in the field of
> runtime systems (as witnessed by Java, Go, etc.): lightweight locking
> ("biased" locking), cooperative GC safepoints, integration with a
> modern code generator (LLVM!), on-the-fly GC (avoiding the need for
> stopping the world).
>
> It would be wonderful to attack these, but they are also somewhat
> interrelated (on-the-fly depends on per-thread safepoint handshakes,
> biased locking requires compiler work, etc.).  So they cannot be
> simply carved off independently.
>
> On May 28, 2014, at 2:25 PM, mika at async.caltech.edu
> <mailto:mika at async.caltech.edu> wrote:
Modula-3 with llvm-backend? Isn`t that just a far fetched dream? I
believe it would be a lot of work, nonetheless.