[M3devel] turning off checking?

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at elstel.org
Tue Jul 29 17:32:43 CEST 2014

It would be a particularely bad idea to turn off checking as a whole for
most use cases; i.e. f.i. just because there is one code snipped which
does not work with these checks. It should be possible to switch of
range checks i.e. integer underflow and overflow checks for a paticular
code block; there could be a different switch for array index range
checks and so on. Concerning the automaton simulator which I had started
to port to Modula-3 last year there was one such snippet which could
only be made working by an explicit type conversion to longint, applying
a logical and and then converting back to integer - and that for several
times. The code has become almost unreadable by the many type
conversions which are basically unnecessary and degrading performance.
Consequently I would really appreciate such switches on a per-code block
level.

Elmar