[M3devel] REFANY-keyed tables?

mika at async.caltech.edu mika at async.caltech.edu
Sun Mar 2 21:17:41 CET 2014

Right, right.

Another way of seeing it is that if st(x) = st(y) then x and y are
pointing to the same object.  The language specification does talk about
memory, albeit abstractly.

If x and y point to the same object and you don't assign to them, they
keep pointing to the same object.  That is the language semantics,
and yes, by The Green Book I mean Systems Programming with Modula-3.

And yeah whatever the implementation does has to respect the language
semantics.  If the GC wants to change the bit representation of x then it
has to change the bit representation of y in a way such that your program
will always see x = y.  Note that it is NOT literally required that the
bit representation of x always equals the bit representation of y.  But
I do believe the GC accomplishes x = y by ensuring that their bit
representations are always equal in any state where they may be checked
by your program.

Another way of looking at this is to consider references in the language
as products of NEW.  Every reference to a particular evaluation of NEW
always points to the same thing.  If NEW has only been evaluated once
in your program, there can only be two REFANYs: NIL and the result of
that NEW.  Those are the language semantics.  And of course the implementation
has to go to some effort to ensure this property holds even as it fiddles
with the bit representations of the two REFANYs.  (NIL's bit representation
is *probably* constant, but it doesn't have to be...)

    Mika