[M3devel] REFANY-keyed tables?

JC Chu jcchu at acm.org
Mon Mar 3 14:25:42 CET 2014

> Another way of seeing it is that if st(x) = st(y) then x and y are pointing to the same object.

Well the language definition does state that st(x) = st(y) implies x = y (and the opposite implication is obvious).

>>> 5. But then y still has the old value: st(y) = s.

>> With a correctly implemented GC (which we have), step 5 can't happen.

> If x and y point to the same object and you don't assign to them, they keep pointing to the same object.

Hmm...  I’ll glad this is the case, but I don’t see how it follows from the language definition alone.  I mean the GC itself changes things on its own, without my having to assign to anything.  If some poor GC did let step 5 happen and we have x # y and st(x) # st(y), it is still consistent with x = y iff st(x) = st(y).  So this nice property is implementation-specific after all...  Or did I miss anything from the language definition?

— JC Chu

> To: jcchu at acm.org
> CC: mika at async.caltech.edu; m3devel at elegosoft.com
> To: rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
> Subject: Re: [M3devel] REFANY-keyed tables?
> Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 12:17:41 -0800
> From: mika at async.caltech.edu
>

> Right, right.
>
> Another way of seeing it is that if st(x) = st(y) then x and y are
> pointing to the same object. The language specification does talk about
> memory, albeit abstractly.
>
> If x and y point to the same object and you don't assign to them, they
> keep pointing to the same object. That is the language semantics,
> and yes, by The Green Book I mean Systems Programming with Modula-3.
>
> And yeah whatever the implementation does has to respect the language
> semantics. If the GC wants to change the bit representation of x then it
> has to change the bit representation of y in a way such that your program
> will always see x = y. Note that it is NOT literally required that the
> bit representation of x always equals the bit representation of y. But
> I do believe the GC accomplishes x = y by ensuring that their bit
> representations are always equal in any state where they may be checked
> by your program.
>
> Another way of looking at this is to consider references in the language
> as products of NEW. Every reference to a particular evaluation of NEW
> always points to the same thing. If NEW has only been evaluated once
> in your program, there can only be two REFANYs: NIL and the result of
> that NEW. Those are the language semantics. And of course the implementation
> has to go to some effort to ensure this property holds even as it fiddles
> with the bit representations of the two REFANYs. (NIL's bit representation
> is *probably* constant, but it doesn't have to be...)
>
> Mika

>>> That was a mistake on my part. Let me rephrase my worry as follows, where st(r) denotes the storage location pointed to by the reference r.
>>>
>>> 1. x, y: REF T, where T has an equivalence relation T.Equal.
>>> 2. Initially, x = y # NIL and st(x) = st(y) = s.
>>> 3. Then the GC creates a copy s' of s.
>>> 4. Then the GC updates x so that st(x) = s'.