[M3devel] build problems with libunicode

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Thu May 29 17:26:37 CEST 2014

On 05/29/2014 12:40 AM, Coleburn, Randy wrote:
> I’ve been rebuilding everything from the HEAD branch on Windows XP (32-bit).
>
> The m3-libs\libunicode package fails to build (see errors below).
>
> I haven’t taken time yet to look at the source code, but wanted to go ahead and post these results to the group in case someone knows of a quick fix.
>
> The problem module is: UnsafeUniCodec.m3
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy Coleburn

I am responsible for libunicode.

1. libunicode won't and is not designed to build unless the compiler is
    configured to make WIDECHAR have full unicode range, which, by default,
    it is not.

2. The simplest way to thus configure the compiler is to add the line
    Unicode_WIDECHAR="TRUE" to cm3.cfg, in /usr/local/cm3/bin, then rebuild
    everything, starting with m3core.

You can bootstrap all of this using the release compiler, see
cm3/scripts/README-build-unicode

I put libunicode in a separate package for that reason, and left the compiler
configured by default for the existing 16-bit range of WIDECHAR, so there
would be no perturbation to anybody's code unless you take some action.

We can change the default if there is consensus to do so.  Most code should
not be affected, but some lower-level things will be.  There is lots of info
on this subject, including what you get from it and what kinds of code might
be affected in:

cm3/README-unicode-summary
cm3/README-unicode
cm3/scripts/README-build-unicode