[M3devel] build problems with libunicode

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at elstel.org
Fri May 30 10:00:00 CEST 2014

Am 29.05.2014 um 17:26 schrieb Rodney M. Bates:

> I am responsible for libunicode.
>
> 1. libunicode won't and is not designed to build unless the compiler is
>   configured to make WIDECHAR have full unicode range, which, by default,
>   it is not.
>
> I put libunicode in a separate package for that reason, and left the compiler
> configured by default for the existing 16-bit range of WIDECHAR, so there
> would be no perturbation to anybody's code unless you take some action.
>
> We can change the default if there is consensus to do so.  Most code should
> not be affected, but some lower-level things will be.

Well, the program I wanna port would actually profit from both types:
* a 16-bit unicode type for interfacing with gtk & qt
* a 32-bit unicode type for the program level user input function yielding math & greek letters

Will it be possible to simply declare BITS 16 FOR WIDECHAR when unicode support is enabled?
What complications to the Text library will that cause if we have a 16-bit and a 32-bit character
type at the same time?
What would you think about leaving WIDECHAR as 16-bit and rather introducing UCHAR as
32-bit character type? I believe this would be the best solution as it does not break any existing
code.

Best Regards,
Elmar Stellnberger