[M3devel] Build Server - Plan

Darko Volaric lists at darko.org
Thu Aug 13 22:27:54 CEST 2015

I'm setting up a server for building CM3 that takes a "minimalist" approach.

It's a machine running several virtual machines, one for each platform
supported by CM3. Each VM will contain clean install of the OS plus any
external tool dependencies. It will have a minimal compiler install,
basically enough to compile itself for the host target.

I'm going create one VM for each target I have a bootstrap compiler for, so
if you think you'll find this useful and you want a target supported PLEASE
CONTRIBUTE A BOOTSTRAP COMPILER. MacOS, Linux and Windows will be first up.

Users can request any version of the compiler from the github repository
and all new commits will be automatically built for all platforms.

The publicly available build products will be:

- minimal executables for bootstrap, eg the frontend and a backend
- model compiler config files
- compilation logs for bootstrap executables
- compilation logs for most modules in the github repository
- logs for certain tests

Packages, libraries, scripts and non-essential tools or executables will
not be built or used, the idea being that people take the minimal
bootstraps and build from there.

I'll post the URL when it's up and running and any suggestions are welcome.