[M3devel] cm3cg coverage/profiling features?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Aug 12 17:33:24 CEST 2015

gcc is so big, I like to trim it down.

For example, I removed the C preprocessor, libgcc (adding back a subsetted alternative when using Sun CC, in another place), the driver, most of the frontends, LTO which I assume nobody uses, all the dependency on gmp/mpfr/mpc, lots of "builtins" that we don't expose so you can't use in Modula-3, etc.

This is stuff in gcc, not the stuff in cm3/m3front.

But arguably we could (have) left it all alone, just apply a minimal patch.

Note that anything here is going to be somewhat specific to this backend.Though LLVM may very well have similar functionality.The integrated backend does not -- though for coverage there exists post-link instrumentation options at least on Windows in Visual Studio.The C backend could get it via the underlying C compiler, e.g. gcc.

Someone should try them out and report.The config files have long offered profile/-pg.I'll leave it for now.
Thanks, - Jay