[M3devel] frame per procedure instead of frame per TRY?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 18 13:05:43 CEST 2015

so..I know there is a much better way to do this, but..

Currently every time we have a TRY, we pay both for a setjmpand a jmpbuf.m3-sys/m3tests/src/p2/p259 demonstrates this, and it is what I thoughtthe code was doing anyway -- m3front doesn't maintain per-functionstate related to TRY.

Ideally we defer to an underlying non-portable highly optimized form.

However, has anyone considered a form that does use setjmp butuses at most one frame per procedure, instead of a frame per TRY?

Oh -- and also, the jmpbuf isn't just a large size, but a pthread_getspecific/pthread_setspecfic.

Or, does anything think we stand a chance of soon transitioning completely away from setjmp/longjmp?

Thanks, - Jay