[M3devel] install issues (stripping, permissions)

John Marino adacore at marino.st
Fri Jun 5 08:10:08 CEST 2015

This is old news but I never reported it.  See the install target on the
port's makefile (starting line 100):

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/lang/modula3/Makefile?revision=388555&view=markup

I have to due numerous changes to the installed files to make it conform
to ports standards.  The issues involved stripping and permissions.

For ports, executables are installed stripped unless explicitly wanted.
 Usually gnu makefiles support this with "install" and "install-strip"
targets.  This can be done after the fact, as I have done, with the
${STRIP_CMD} command, which does nothing when stripping is not desired.

The other issue is that there were numerous files in pkg/ that were
executable and shouldn't have been.  I used find/chmod to remove exec
perms for all except "cm3" file.  I did this 1.5 years ago, I'm now
wondering how right it was.  The current list:

pkg/m3core/src/C/Common/Csetjmp.i3
pkg/m3back/src/M3C.i3
pkg/m3staloneback/AMD64_FREEBSD/m3back
pkg/cm3/AMD64_FREEBSD/cm3
pkg/libdump/AMD64_FREEBSD/libdump
pkg/cmpfp/AMD64_FREEBSD/cmpfp
pkg/formsview/AMD64_FREEBSD/formsview
pkg/vorun/AMD64_FREEBSD/vorun
pkg/pkl-fonts/AMD64_FREEBSD/PklFonts
pkg/hack/AMD64_FREEBSD/dummy
pkg/test/AMD64_FREEBSD/test

Should there be executables in pkg/ ?  Is the chmod command then wrong?
 I had to strips these as well to pass QA tests.

John