[M3devel] install issues (stripping, permissions)

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Jun 5 09:26:18 CEST 2015

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 08:10:08 +0200
John Marino <adacore at marino.st> wrote:

> The other issue is that there were numerous files in pkg/ that were
> executable and shouldn't have been.  I used find/chmod to remove exec
> perms for all except "cm3" file.  I did this 1.5 years ago, I'm now
> wondering how right it was.  The current list:
>
> pkg/m3core/src/C/Common/Csetjmp.i3
> pkg/m3back/src/M3C.i3
> pkg/m3staloneback/AMD64_FREEBSD/m3back
> pkg/cm3/AMD64_FREEBSD/cm3
> pkg/libdump/AMD64_FREEBSD/libdump
> pkg/cmpfp/AMD64_FREEBSD/cmpfp
> pkg/formsview/AMD64_FREEBSD/formsview
> pkg/vorun/AMD64_FREEBSD/vorun
> pkg/pkl-fonts/AMD64_FREEBSD/PklFonts
> pkg/hack/AMD64_FREEBSD/dummy
> pkg/test/AMD64_FREEBSD/test
>
> Should there be executables in pkg/ ?  Is the chmod command then wrong?
>  I had to strips these as well to pass QA tests.

Except for the i3-files these are all programs and should be executable.

The builder ships programs to the package target directory, and Programs
with a capital P to the bin directory.

As I said, M3 packages don't fit well into OS packages.

Olaf
--
Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH -- http://www.elegosoft.com
Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin