[M3devel] It works! (was: m3cgc1: fatal error: *** bad M3CG version stamp (0x100), expected 0x110)

John Marino adacore at marino.st
Wed Jun 3 08:17:49 CEST 2015

On 6/2/2015 09:11, Jay K wrote:
> John, this and your other problems should all be fixed now.
>
> I was able to reproduce them mostly.
> I didn't actually reproduce the cvsup problem, but I see in the log you
> did set CM3, and I did test with that, and hit the cm3cg version
> mismatch, and the problem is pretty clear -- my mistake.
>
> I am able to start with I386_DARWIN 5.8.6 and either upgrade.py &&
> make-dist.py or skip right to make-dist.py.
> There was an additional problem skipping right to make-dist.py that I
> fixed, at least for Darwin.

Hi Jay,
I set up the VM last night and it completed the make-dist.py command.  I
have some questions / comments.

comment 1:
Using bin for config isn't a standard unix location.
e.g. rather than <root>/bin/config/AMD64_FREEBSD, it should be located
at <root>/etc/modula3/config/AMD64_FREEBSD  (can it be configurable?)

comment 2:
Many of the binaries are might actually be example programs, e.g. cube,
calculator, fisheye.  Rather than <root>/bin where they risk clashing
with other programs, it might be advisable to stick them a
<root>/share/examples/modula3  (configurable?).

comment 3: <root>/www is not standard either.  We would be this in
<root>/share/doc/modula3.  Can it be configurable?

Comments 1--3 might be related because www might have relative paths
that need changing

comment 4: I'd like a configurable option not to tar/gzip the products.
 In my case, I'm going to stage them manually so this is an unnecessary
step.

comment 5: the "min" distribution seems suitable to be packaged as a
bootstrap

question 6: In most use cases, other than intentionally recreating the
bootstrap, I'm not going to need the "min" distribution.  Is there any
impact to building "all" only?  In other words, does something else use
"min" distribution?

Thanks for the update!
John