[M3devel] rpath woes

John Marino adacore at marino.st
Thu Jun 4 20:10:07 CEST 2015

On 6/4/2015 20:05, Jay K wrote:
> My understanding:
> The modula-3 libraries, e.g. m3core,
> are found from the rpath I put in, like

> $ORIGIN:$ORIGIN/../lib
> Other libraries like libc.so are found by full path, that is already
> correct at build time?
> Do users want to possibly have a private /usr/local/lib/libc.so?
> I hadn't considered that.
> Or build is "staged" and the full paths aren't correct at build time?
> I think I hadn't considered that either.
> You are on the right track, looking in this area.
> Did you notice the "portable rpath" thingy that make-dist.py changes?

I believe make-dist.py is hard-coding portable rpath which means it's
hardcoding $ORIGIN I think, but it's not working.

The origin flag is set, but $ORIGIN itself is not.  I think this is a bug.

We prefer to use hardcoded rpaths in ports, but I will settle for
$ORIGIN if it works.  $ORIGIN works on FreeBSD and DragonFly, but not
NetBSD (not sure about OpenBSD, I'd guess it does though).

The "-Wl,rpath," looks wrong to me, but sticking $ORIGIN here didn't
work either.

John