[M3devel] install issues (stripping, permissions)

John Marino adacore at marino.st
Fri Jun 5 22:53:14 CEST 2015

On 6/5/2015 20:51, Jay K wrote:
> This is kind of on purpose as Olaf said and kind of broken as you point out.
>
> We often build_standalone() to workaround the origin/rpath matte.
>
> We kind of fail here, in terms of library paths.

well, to be blunt, it -is- broken and thus is a fail.

> I don't think the original system fully accounted for runpath.
> I think at the time, LD_LIBRARY_PATH might have been considered an
> acceptable solution.

If I wanted to go down a path like this, I'd use ldconfig, but my
personal feeling if is ldconfig is required, the software is doing
something wrong.

> Elsewhere, with libtool, make install relinks to reset paths. We don't
> have that implemented.
> It is somewhat a good solution.

I think it has to be a tweak at FreeBSD.common -- rather than use
$ORIGIN/../lib for rpath, it needs a conditional statement to use
$ORIGIN/../../../lib instead.  I just don't know what the condition is.

I'm also trying to figure out why rpath=$ORIGIN is needed.  are there
ever libraries in the same directory as cm3?

ohn