[M3devel] install issues (stripping, permissions)

John Marino adacore at marino.st
Sat Jun 6 14:02:29 CEST 2015

On 6/6/2015 10:47, Jay K wrote:
> $ORIGIN is "in case" we restructure Unix install to look like Windows
> install -- moving lib on top of bin.
> I realize you'd like just the minimum required, not hypothetical values
> for the future.

Since it's patched anyway, I'll just remove $ORIGIN then.
Obviously I'm going to vote against a lowest-common-denomination
approach of dumping everything into one directory.

A better way is have the build system support either.

> Regarding gcc/ld -- isn't it desirable to have either/both work?

Given scarce developer resources (and small user population), I
recommend that you target supporting ports rather than try to support
multiple configurations.  Unless you are really committed to supported
platforms that have been EOL for years (basically FreeBSD 8.x and lower)
then I don't see a big ROI on supporting more than what ports requires.

To specifically answer, I'd say "no".  FreeBSD 9, 10, 11 all have
different base compiler configurations.  It's not worth trying to
support the quirks of each one.

> Are there command lines that work with both and provide the same meaning?

I'm not sure, but since ports works on FreeBSD 9 and later, I am not
that motivated to do the extensive testing necessary to answer that.

> Does our stuff not work with older gcc/ld?
> Do ports in general avoid system gcc/ld?

More and more.  The freebsd base assembler is ancient, so often a new
gas is required which brings in the new ld and forces that ports GCC be
used (if not base clang)

> Does clang work?
> I intend to try.

I expect it to work on the C-backend.