[M3devel] propose "output root" to replace shipping

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at elstel.org
Tue Mar 24 18:25:07 CET 2015

Am 24.03.15 um 09:29 schrieb Jay K:
> There is a problem here.
> Something I also want to do is stop building things standalone,
> on NT and systems that support "origin", which is pretty much all of them.
> The problem .. I'm alluding to two solutions.
>

>  1) "run from" and "install to" are the same
>  2) or different
>

>  But we also want "atomic" update of cm3 and its dependencies
> (m3core/libm3).
>  #1 only works if the old and new are compatible-enough.
>  #1 is more automatic
>

> I think the answer is, if you are rebuilding m3core/libm3/cm3, and the
> old and new are not compatible-enough, you must set the output to be a
> new empty directory, and "run from" and "install to" must be
> different. If you are building almost anything else, you can safely
> update in place w/o breaking the compiler.

Dear Jay K.

Yes, I had been thinking the same way as you those times when I hacked
pm3 and cm3.
A solution for it needed to be still around somewhere on my hard disk.
However I remember it was not so easy to achieve this as there are
mutual dependencies between the front end and the core library.
If there are incompatibilities between both you may need an intermediate
code version that ships b but still uses a, followed by a version that
uses b and ships b.
Nonetheless the approach works fine as long as no such dependencies are
given.
Unfortunately I currently do not have the time to dig it out for you;
next month or more likely just in two month I can perhaps do that if you
are interested.
It would be great to have such a feature in the main tree (i.e ship to B
and compile from A) though getting the changes there will be somewhat
beyond my scope.

Cheers, Elmar