[M3devel] propose "output root" to replace shipping

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Tue Mar 24 19:37:23 CET 2015

I already said I don't care what happens with Windows. That platform
is and has always been riddled with security holes like Swiss cheese and
99.9% of Windows victims need an installer anyway. It's not whether they
need one it's just which one is least bad.

Perhaps you are not aware that every application you add to your system is
another vector for vulnerabilities and bugs. Perhaps you are also not aware
people running UNIX or UNIX-like OS really are not interested and in most
cases will simply not use anything that has any installation requirements
beyond a normal build or untarring a tarball.

I don't tolerate installers running as root downloading random crap from the
web. I download what I want myself from the correct site and I check the
signatures or checksums if provided. Then I build the application from
source. Then I check it. If it looks ok then I install it.

I don't think it's appropriate to burden non-Windows users with potential
malware just for the sake of Windows users. We are not accustomed to keep
clicking OK until the system reboots.