[M3devel] defaulting to parallel backend?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 4 10:45:23 CEST 2016

I suggest we make parallel backend the default.

You can turn it off with -pb 1.

Turn it "up" with -pb <whatever>

And the default is a thread per processor.
This will be kernel specific code, but we can get far with

 1) Win32 GetSystemInfo, if applicable (e.g. C backend)
 2) sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_ONLN)

and I'll research the various OSes (Darwin, Linux, *BSD, Solaris, and possibly AIX, HP-UX, Irix, Mingw, Cygwin).
ok?

I could really use the speed boost and multi-processor machines are overwhelmingly common now (though easily avoided with VMs).