[M3devel] source paths to generics?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 1 20:43:20 CEST 2016

>> But I'm still pretty sure the "=>" ("1=>"?) inserted by M3Header.Parse will>> never find its way into any output.
agreed.Anyway, I'm almost done with my minor change here.
 I'm leaning toward:

 cm3 -trim-target-variation     will set Target.TrimTargetVariation      will also a quake variable CM3_TRIM_TARGET_VARIATION maybe    quake function backend() will use quake variable to pass it on to cm3cg probably        Unless maybe builder code knows it is calling cm3cg and will it in options there      i.e. don't intend to push this through llvm backends at this time.
  Used by M3C to turn off line directives entirely (vs. just commenting them out as it is willing to do)   Used by M3C to turn off a comment as what is TARGET
 cm3cg -ftrim-target-variation   used by dbxout.c and dwarf2out.c to omit current working directory

 It is a funny name and a funny behavior and of limited use.  The exercise is somewhat useful to see how to plumb options through.  Much target variation occurs, just that slightly unnecessary variation will not,  and then targets that are nearly the same, will be closer to the same.

 In particular, it likely that there are approximately one-two ABI per architecture on Posix hosts,  therefore the Posix targets are all the same -- NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, Darwin, Linux, FreeBSD.  Darwin will tend to vary because it assumes newer processors so favors SSE over x87.  But still for AMD64, probably the same.  Windows tends to have different ABIs so the IR is still the same, but the assembly is not.

  - Jay