[M3devel] old problem of new releases on old systems esp. Unix

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue May 31 08:52:05 CEST 2016

fyi..in the vein of really needing to release as C or asm instead of binaries, like the 3.6 system did:

https://github.com/modula3/cm3/releases/download/verification-release-x86_64/cm3-bin-core-AMD64_LINUX-d5.9.0-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-2014-08-19-18-12-25.tgz

% cm3 -versioncm3: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by cm3)

on an older system:

% uname -aLinux birch 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Mar 4 21:48:06 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

or maybe do more investigation of gcc/ld switches to produce more compatible binaries..
..just need to converge on what such a system really looks like in terms of build portability -- like cmake or autotools or extremely simple.. I have a bit of mental block getting anywhere on this. None of the C/C++ build systems quite do what I'd like and I haven't yet written my own.. (i.e. esp in terms of picking what is statically linked vs. what is dynamically linked)..