[M3devel] replace build system??

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue May 31 09:32:23 CEST 2016

Design of a new or bootstrap/cross/distribution build system?

I'd really like our stuff to be as easy to distribute and develop
as stuff using e.g. autotools or cmake. And as portable.

And to reuse other people's work.

And have a solid cross build story.

And distribution be C or .o or .a or .S files, not executables and so/dylibs.

i.e. I'd really like to get out of the build system business.
like to just use autotools or cmake?

But I suspect our system's qualities is difficult to replicate within the other frameworks.
i.e. the incrementality
The way every dynamic library is also available statically.

Thoughts?

For example, enable easier mixing of Modula-3 with C and C++ i.e. within one
Makefile or such.

Is it possible for Modula-3 to efficiently have the single source to single .o per invocation model?