[M3devel] CM3 Next Problem (cm3 start msg)

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Tue Oct 4 20:55:26 CEST 2016

On 10/04/2016 06:53 AM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
> This is a bit of a philosophical problem how to compile a compiler. I noticed several elements of the compiler package are written in M3, so this poses the question with what compiler to compile a compiler,when the compiler is needed to compile it? Also there is the question what are the elemental libraries the compiler is referring to (runtime libraries) - without compiling them - and probably the 5.8.6 compiler refers to 5.8.6 runtime packages and linking them into the result, while the target system CM3 is located inside the latest Git system. This may cause confusion in references. So how to solve this?

Yes, almost all of the entire cm3 distribution, including the compiler and the
libraries it uses, is written in Modula3.  We work at keeping the latest version
bootstrappable by the release compiler/libraries.  In order to make some improvements,
we've had to introduce compiler/library interdependencies that require nontrivial
bootstrap process.  The update.sh script takes care of this, if you want to
compile the git version of everything.  Don't be bothered by the amount of work
it does.  I recompiles some things two or three times, and takes quite a bit of
time.

We are really overdue to package up a new release.

--
Rodney Bates
rodney.m.bates at acm.org