[M3devel] On the way to release other packages in GPL?

Jay K jayk123 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 29 09:02:38 CEST 2017

  1.  But I don't think he could sue w/o ownership. He could only encourage the owners to.

2. Static linking gcc makes everything in
D:\dev2\cm3.1\m3-sys\m3cc\gcc\gcc\m3cg

GPL -- at least when linked to gcc. But can't we dual license?

The files/content I am interested in:
m3-def.h

I am the author of this. It is derived perhaps from some Modula-3 code.
It is a funny file. It is C preprocessor and a long way toward our IR reading.

And then m3cg.h -- this is machine generated. Not sure how that licensed in general.

And then parse.c.
Some large fraction of this is the IR reader and independent of gcc.
And might be a good basis for other backends -- external backends written in C or C++ in particular.

I haven't super much pushed on this because in principle, while I do like C and C++,
I wrote the C backend in Modula-3 to try to really use this system, and writing/reading the IR
is kinda well recognized as unnecessarily inefficient approach. It is used by m3cc as a license
dodge, not for perhaps the best other engineering reasons.

 An LLVM system could use this approach, but could also generate LLVM IR in-proc, as I believe
 we have, or write the binary or textual "bitcode" -- again slower, but has advantages.

 However, I do have another idea.
 The M3CG IR could be the basis of a JIT or interpreter.
 They could be the distributed files.
 And that could be written in C or C++.
 And then these files become useful.

 It isn't clear however, when thinking about JIT, where to draw the lines in the pipeline -- how far to "lower"
 before redistributing. While we have this IR in hand, it isn't maybe stable enough long term.
 Unless the JIT was tightly bound to the IR somehow.
 We have changed it fairly regularly. We had no reason not to.

 - Jay