[M3devel] HEADS UP: Release engineering, was: Re: CM3 Release

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Apr 14 15:04:33 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:02:17PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> If anybody could test Rodney's TEXT changes and provide some
> information on the impacts on our applications, that would help a lot.
>
> I also wasn't able to read and understand all the mails about small objects.
> (Guessing, I'd say I'd need another day for that :-)
> Can anybody summarize?
> Has a conclusion been reached and what will be done/implemented?
> Is this relevant for the next release, or will it take longer?

Deciding that the garbage collector should test for the low-order bit of
pointers and leave them alone if the bit is set could probably dop done
immediately, and would make it possible for users to build unsafe code
to do the small-objects stuff.  This could go in the next release if
the garbage-collector change wom't upset anything.

There's still some discussion about just what form the final language
feature should take.  I don't know if that will be finished in time for
the release.

-- hendrik