[M3devel] CM3 Release Engineering Status

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 24 06:45:42 CEST 2009

> Surely Microsoft cannot assume that the whole Internet is
> officially certified? We'd need to raise some funds if we wanted
> to do that for cm3...
>
> Olaf

How much?

It looks like..verisign..cheapest option..
 $600/year
 $1100/2 years (save $100)
 $1600/3 years (save $200)

good enough?

Can six people each put up $100, check payable to Olaf,
he volunteers his time (or make it seven people, or $110 each), and we'll
worry about it again in a year?
I can.

Or ignore it?

Double the price for 128bit instead of 40bit.

I don't understand the "extended validation, gren address bar".

Shop around maybe it is availabe cheaper?

Or just ignore it?

Maybe they offer a discount for open source projects?

I'll poke around a bit more..

GoDaddy seems to offer much better.
Free for a year for open source projects, 256 bit, a $30 value.
A $30 value, hm.

So..if you don't want the bureacracy of being an official open source project..
They really do offer stuff starting at $30/year.
Their most expensive option seems to be $240/year.
Multi-year discounts range from 10% to 25%.

So..just $30/year?
Or free due to being open source?

This sounds more viable and maybe worthwhile. Or just ignore it?