[M3devel] organization of scripts folder

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Nov 2 10:50:17 CET 2009

Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 10:14:51AM +0100, Olaf Wagner wrote:
>> Hi Randy,
>>
> Any documentation of reorganisation that makes these distinctions clear
> would be welcome.

Scripts were not meant for the ordinary user at the start.

> Well, if reorganising makes it easier to get our current release through
> regression testing, I'm all for it.  But I'd say it's really important
> to get a release out -- at the moment we don't really have one that's
> adequate for someone newly sold on the merits of Modula 3.  So if
> there's a signoficant risk of a reorganisatin delaying things, perhaps
> we should hold off a bit.

Yes, this should only be done in the main trunk, _not_ in the release
branch. Every change to the scripts there will cause delays.

> It seems that the current RC3 is not really adequate -- important
> components like m3gdb don't install properly from the binary downloads
> directory.  And RC4 is held up on regression testing which shows
> significant problems in a few packages (Juno ocmes to ming).  These
> problems appear to involve the interaction between the package, garbage
> colletion, multitasking, and the details of particular platforms.  They
> are difficult problems, and it is not at all clear that they can be
> solved quickly, or even whether they are regressions.
>
> I'd very much like to see a RC4 that fixes the problems we've already
> fixed in RC3.  Some of them seem to be installation issues.  At
> least, with a current RC4, flaws and all, we would know for sure
> whether the installation problems in RC3 have really been fixed.

I'm still waiting for changes and fixes committed to the release branch
concerning threading and segmentation violations on Windows.
Unfortunately I cannot spend as much time for release engineering
currently as in the summer. I can only release what is available.

Olaf