[M3devel] m3tests hanging

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Sep 28 11:31:02 CEST 2009

  > I posted a description on cvs merges some days ago, or didn't it show
  > up on the list?

It seems to require me to know every change in the system and what

branch it is in. I do that to some extent, and when I can't, I diff my two trees.

With perforce you just tell it the two branches and it knows which changes

are in which branch, basically. At least it seems to keep a high water mark.

> > In this case I just copied the entire file. I wonder if we should
> > apply for a Perforce
> > open source license. It does branching very well, knowing what
> > changes are where.
>
> Not now. If everybody agrees (which I don't think, as others will
> prefer subversion or git or mercurial or ...) _and_ we do much branching,

I've done some research here sort of, at least read stuff, guaged

popular opinion.

I have a lot of experience with Perforce and highly recommend it.

  But it isn't free beer for any project and source isn't available.

  It isn't just merging/branching that it does well. It does basically

  everything well, except it isn't distributed. It has a good command line

  interface, a good gui, pretty good platform support.

  I'm not sure of its perf over slow network.

Otherwise git and mercurial seem to the most popular, but git is

seen as perhaps too hard to use. I might shortly have to use/learn mercurial

for a small project (said project considered git as well, but chose mercurial).

Subversion is better than CVS and has atomic multi-file changesets.

Historically its branching support is terrible, again you have to know

which changes are in which branch. They might have fixed that by now.

Monotone sounds good, but git and mercurial seem more popular.

Conversion from cvs seems supported well enough.
Some of the systems support on-going bidirectional conversion,

  including accepting CVS commits. Some support read only CVS mirrors.

> So p007 should now terminate on any platform with Tony's fixes?

That is my hope/expectation.

I haven't tested it.