[M3devel] hudson nodes/awazon web services/cvs moving?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Oct 27 11:02:19 CEST 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

>> > I'm experimenting with using Amazon Web Services though.
>> I haven't tried that yet; but if you want to set up a test node there,
>> that would be welcome.
>
> It's gotten further. Below.
Ah.

>> > It looks like cvs/gcc is moving?
>> >  Or all of cm3/cvs?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you are hinting at with that.
>
> Look at the CVS roots in hudson.
> I'm seeing cm3cvs.acme-works.com.
> I never saw that before tonight.

Oops, I forgot about that. That's a mirror on a virtual machine
Mike has set up; I thought I posted that to the list. Only a few
jobs use(d) it until now though. It's only a temporary solution,
though these always tend to become long-living :-)

>> > e.g.:
>> >
>> http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/job/cm3-initial-install-LINUXLIBC6/4/console
>> > http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/job/cm3-current-m3cc-LINUXLIBC6/67/console
>>
>> These are examples of German texts I assume...
>
> That too..
> But: These are examples running in Amazon Web Services actually.
> "jaws1" -- Jay Amazon Web Services 1
>
> question then: what is the thinking around having multiple nodes of
> same "type"?

You mean for one target platform, I assume?

>   You know..I setup a "test" node..can that coexist with a "real"
> node? Or only in that
>   I fiddle with the jobs to be on one, run them, and then put it
> back if it didsn't work?

Feel free to add test nodes as you need (not necessarily run continuous
integration on them because of the load that generates).

> Shedule the jobs on all of them?
We shouldn't actually run the same builds and tests on multiple nodes
for a longer period of time.

> If they all work, purely redundant.
> If some nodes down, the redundancy useful?

Yes, it would be great to have an automated switchover in this case.
Except for the job dependeny from build on m3cc there should be no
problem in defining a group of equivalent nodes in Hudson (that's the
provided concept).

> I could see powering off the AWS nodes for long periods to save money.
>   esp. if I get NetBSD and OpenBSD running there.
>   heck, it might be possible to run Darwin there. Might.
> Just change the "tags" that "bind" jobs to machines, to say like
> linux-i386 instead of machine names xlinux, jaws1, etc.??

Yes, that's the mechanism to define groups of equivalent slave
machines. Add a unique tag to all the build nodes that may run your job
and use that in the job definition.

Olaf