[M3devel] JIT [WAS: Google Benchmark - anyone interested in an Modula 3 version?]

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Jul 5 18:50:41 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 10:20:34AM -0500, felipe valdez wrote:
> why let the computer do the inferencing work, if we can do the typing work!
>
> don't let the computer work for you!

(1) computers aren't that fast yet.  They can still use some help.

(2) computers might infer the wrong types -- types that fit what we
coded, but not what we meant.

That said, there are rather simple type inference methods that require
a lot less explicit typing than today's conventional strongly typed
languages impose on us.

Ideally, the computer should do about the same amount of type
inferencing that a human reader would easily do when reading
the program.  Note that I said "reader", not "writer".

-- hendrik