[M3devel] JIT [WAS: Google Benchmark - anyone interested in an Modula 3 version?]

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Jul 5 19:34:10 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 12:08:07PM -0500, felipe valdez wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com>wrote:
>
> > Ideally, the computer should do about the same amount of type
> > inferencing that a human reader would easily do when reading
> > the program.  Note that I said "reader", not "writer".
> >

> but how far are we from this Ideal, really?
> can these rules be automated?

The hard part here is figuring out what human readers can do.  It's
important to match the human reader and not to go beyond his abilities.
Because then the writer (who will probably understand his program bettr
than a reader) will get feedback from his type-checker when the code
gets too obscure for a reader.

-- hendrik